mendi - austin, Texas
Themes: humanism

I believe in the middle

I am always in the middle. I was born the middle child of a middle class family in the middle of Texas in the middle of the century. I am in the middle of my life. I think it’s good to be in the middle. I am also in the middle of the American political spectrum. I am a moderate Democrat. Married to a moderate Republican. I like to think of being in the middle as being able to see both sides of an issue. Being able to understand where people are coming from because you can see where they’ve been. Many people don’t think the middle is a valid place to be. Some think I’m lazy and haven’t taken the time to form opinions. I have been criticized for sitting on the fence. But what a great place to see both sides. I think of it like being on a seesaw. If you stand in the middle you can be balanced, but if you venture too far to one side or the other you fall down. That doesn’t mean that I don’t have strong convictions. It does mean that I can usually understand where the other side is coming from. I can be a patriot and still disagree with the current leadership in America. I can believe that the United States is by far the best place to live in the world and still believe that we need to work harder to make it a good place for all the people who live here. I can believe that it is best for my children for me to be at home with them and not think that all mothers should stay home with their children. On some issues I will take sides that aren’t agreed upon by everyone. I think that a woman should have control over her body. I believe that any two people who want to be married should be able to and that if they create a safe and loving home they should be able to adopt children. There are a few matters that I don’t think have two sides. Matters that I consider non negotiable. Like treating people with kindness. And taking care of your elders and treating them with dignity. And respecting your children so that they learn what respect is. And trying to make the world a better place for those around you in whatever way you are able to. But those issues are neither on the left of the political spectrum or on the right. They are just issues of humankind. I believe in humankind. I’m right in the middle of it.