Allison - Centennial, Colorado

Life’s Simple Guidelines

“Someday I hope you get the chance to live like you were dying.” Ever since I first heard that song on the radio, the words have stuck to my head like glue. Yet somehow I always manage to forget them when I need them most.

My name is Allison and I’m fourteen years old. I complain all the time, about boys, friends, and other teenage issues. Five minutes after I’ve thrown a huge fit, I remember life is too short to let these silly things get you down. I try to remember how fortunate I am to be alive. Everyday I think about the people who are starving and dying, or maybe just got diagnosed with cancer. I think it’s sad that people take life for granted. It’s important that we cherish everything we have and treat everyday like it’s our last.

Do something everyday that scares you. It’s important to push ourselves, life is short and we should treasure every opportunity that we have. When I was younger, I was always told I needed to participate in a sport. I was terrified because I didn’t want people counting on me, I was afraid I’d let them down. I wish I would have listened to those words because it’s important to feel like you’re part of a team. Today I still have that fear, but I realize people shouldn’t go through life being afraid of things. We need to conquer our fears in order to succeed in life.

Everyone makes mistakes in life. I’m not afraid to do things wrong because I can learn something from them. I believe that people should live life with no regrets. Look back on every mistake you’ve made and laugh. Life is too short to dwell on the past, so whether your memories are good or bad, be happy that you were able to learn something from the choices you made.

Being happy is a big priority to me. Sadness is silly, and you shouldn’t let bad things overcome your life. Try to focus on the good that comes out of every situation. Just recently we had the fifth anniversary of September 11th. So many people were lost that day and we will always feel sadness, but there was also happiness that day. The world may have seen evil, but I saw something else. I saw our country join together despite our differences. People worked together, and firemen raced into the burning towers to save another persons life. I saw heroes that day. We forget to realize these things, our world becomes so negative. Life isn’t forever so make the best out of every situation.

God gave us life, and it’s our decision as to what we make of it. Be thankful, take risks, follow your dreams, and most of all have fun. Never give up on life because it’s a gift, it will always be hard but make it worth living. This I truly believe.