Jake - centennial, Colorado

“This I Believe”

I believe that in life, if you plan on doing well, you will need a strong foundation for yourself. People need to believe in themselves and not care what others think of them. Too many people now and days are getting plastic surgery, or buying special clothes to fit in, or changing the way they act, or talk, or walk. Why are people doing this? Well, frankly, It’s because they feel out of place or awkward if they aren’t the same as others. It’s important that we all stay the way we are because if we end up changing the way we act and think, then well grow up becoming something we don’t want to be. It’s also a matter of standing out. Being different from the people you associate with. I hang out with different group of friends because I can’t stand hanging with the same types of people all the time. People should also be doing what they like, not what they think will make them cool or popular. For example, I participate in a sport called parkour. Many people don’t know about this sport is, and I have many times been made fun, and accused for doing this sport, but in have kept at it for 2 years, making 4 movies of parkour and becoming very good at it. The mental and physical training that I go through to become a good tracuer is extreme. I practice from 2 to 3 hours a day and 4 to 5 days a week. It’s very important to take pride in what you’re doing, and I am proud of doing parkour. But if you’re doing something you like, but not taking pride in it, then there is really no point in doing it. I enjoy doing this French sport and don’t care anymore when people make fun of it, because it’s something that I like to do. Because of that, when I grow up, I am going to become the person I want to be, because I’m not going to merge in with the crowd that I think will make me cool or popular, but become the person that that thinks for himself, not for others. Because being yourself is a lot cooler than blending in. This I believe.