Michael - Centennial, Colorado

9/16/06

What I believe in are my grandparents, Jim and Marion; they are my elder being and my future. I occasionally visit my grandparents and when I do I treat them like old people, and that seems wrong. I need to treat them like they are my age.

So what if my grandparents are weak on their bones, but that is what makes them special. I need to impose what they are thinking and what they could do that would be entertaining and not as hard on their body. I could do a board game with them, that is fun and not as physical, but it doesn’t come from my soul. My only attempts lately to gather with my grandparents are eating at dinner or going to the museum. They love those kinds of activities (well my grandfather does), but I try to make it worth my grandmother’s while so they both can enjoy it. So far believing in my wiser ones has shown me what I can do to help, maybe more is ahead…

Looking into their pasts by asking them what they did I’ve realized they are totally different people. My grandparents have done things you can’t imagine that an old bag of bones could achieve. For instance my grandmother did choir and tennis back then and she still does tennis. My grandfather was more of an inventor, he built models for a hobby and played with his science kit once ever while, and he is still at it. They both are unique and talented, so that could be a way to help us bond situation a little more.

My grandparents are awkward couple in ways. My grandfather comes up with these pop quizzes out of no where, and it can get on my nerve sometimes. My grandmother is mellower and just does all the chores she can to help around her house. The actions that these two make are a good treat to come upon.

I have come to a conclusion; I now know that my grandparents make all the joy in me by informing me of what I have learned about them. What they taught me are what we have done together, their pasts, and what they do as a morale booster. My grandparents have made me what I have become throughout my life, and they only have a short time to live, so maybe I will learn more in the future to come.