Kiersten - Littleton, Colorado
Themes: hope, illness

A North Star for Everyone

As I lie awake in bed staring at the various glowing stars strung upon my ceiling, I am contemplating on which star to declare the biggest and brightest. I am deciding upon which glowing star is I am going to declare my north star. Shortly after I fall asleep, I am consumed with wondering if everyone has their own north star. What if everyone’s life was planned out for them? I believe that everyone has a destiny, I believe that all people no matter what gender, race, age or religion has their life sketched out for them.

“Dreams are like stars… you may never touch them, but if you follow them they will lead you to your destiny.” It is thought that when men became lost as sea, they would look for the brightest thinking star at night, Polaris, to guide them home. Without the North Star acting as a guide for the many sailors over the years, it is hard to imagine where they might be today. Just like the men who dreamed the North Star would guide them through their journey home when lost, I believe that everyone has their own north star they dream upon to guide them through the journey of life.

I remember a time when I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia. Not only was I extremely young for my age to be diagnosed with such a rare disease, many people were not familiar with what fibromyalgia really was. There was a long period of time where I felt so unsure and worried about what might happen to me. Was I ever going to be able to play sports again? Would I be in constant pain forever? It was questions like those that lead me to look at the stars like the sailors did; questions that would lead me to a better tomorrow. Dreams about where I wanted to go in life and what I wanted to accomplish. I began to have hope and not give up all sense of direction.

Every now and then I seem to wake up without pain in my body. Sometimes I can go an entire day without feeling as if I were crushed by a boulder. It is days like this where I know that my North Star is doing its job guiding me upon the never ending road of fate. I was meant to have fibromyalgia. I was meant to learn and understand the meaning of like and how precious it really is. Now I am fourteen; it has been five years since I was diagnosed. Every day is still a challenge and I know it always will be, but I have decided to accept my fibromyalgia for what it is, and dream of a better tomorrow.

I believe everyone has a fate; whether or not we choose to dream about it is our decision, but life is going to take us where we dream to be.