Casey - centennial, Colorado

Life is full of ups, downs, and all kinds of curves. Some people have good fortune in life, some people have challenging obstacles to overcome. It is how you choose to overcome those obstacles that defines who you are. Many people look at one’s life and say they have it made because they are a professional football player. They look at blind people and feel sorrow. But we each find pleasure within and learn how to enjoy the gift of life, no matter what our circumstances.

This is very true of my life. I have grown up without a dad. My parents got divorced when I was three years old. My dad was an alcoholic. I knew my dad for a very short time, and he has not been in my life for a very long time. Due to this misfortune, I have not been able to enjoy the same excitement that other kids have experienced with their dads; things such as throwing a football in the backyard, being able to talk to about school and life, and going to sporting events and rooting on your team. However, I have a grandfather that replaced the image of a dad. He is always there for me whenever I need him. I also have a mom who is also there for me. My mom and I have been a team through the years and will continue that relationship for the rest of our lives. I have learned to push through these obstacles and move on with my life. At first I was sad and wished my dad was around, but once I realized that he was not going to be in my life, I decided that the best thing for me was to make my life the way I wanted it to be.

The tragedy of the famous crocodile hunter, Steve Erwin, brought back the memory of not having a father and how his children will now have to go through the same feelings that I went through. He had two kids that are fairly young. Through his TV shows, Steve Erwin’s children can watch and learn who their dad was and what he did. Although many of us have our father taken away from us, for whatever reason, we never forget about them and the good times we did share. I decided many years ago that I would make a better life for myself than the life my dad chose for himself. I know this will make him proud of me.

Most people accept their fates, knowing that they cannot change the past, and can only move on to the future; others choose to feel sorry for them selves. However, you can’t sit around waiting for tomorrow for things to change in your life. We only get one shot at life. Our lives could end tomorrow, so we must make the most of today.