Mitchell - centennial, Colorado

Is death always a bad thing or can it relieve a persons pain? About three years ago my uncle was diagnosed with cancer. This was a big shock to our whole family, and it made us look back on all the things that we had done and still had yet to do.

Later that summer my uncle max was put into the intensive care unit at Rose Hospital. Every day I could I would go and see him to say hi and see how he was doing. This he always said was the highlight of his day. It always made me feel so special that I could make a persons day just by being myself and talking. As time went on his cancer spread to his lungs. This made it hard for him to talk but still I went and we just watched sports games and poker which he loved to do. Still just spending time with him brought us closer together.

Every year before this he would come to our house for Thanksgiving. After the cancer was removed I knew he would still be there for that extraordinary time. About a month before Thanksgiving he was back in critical condition. During this time I was constantly thinking about how he would at least make in to the celebration.

Although I didn’t know he was getting worse and worse everyday. A few before thanksgiving I was informed that his condition was beyond critical. It scared me that he might not make it. Over these weeks I went to see him every opportunity I got. As he lost blood he kept telling me he loved me and he would try his best to make it through. The last week before thanksgiving uncle max could not talk. Although I new he was close to the end I still went to see him. Hearing about his condition made me think that even though I wanted him there I saw the pain he was going through and wanted him to be better off. Later that week I went to see him and when I left I started crying and I knew it was over. Two days after my uncle max died and we did not celebrate Thanksgiving that year. Since this day I have believe that in some cases death can be more relieving than something to mourn.