Kathryn - Winterville, North Carolina
Themes: birth

I Believe in a Chance at Life

It seems like it has become natural, like it is no big deal. A person becomes pregnant, doesn’t want the child and aborts it. No one gives it a second thought. People go on with their day as if nothing happened, while only a few minutes before, there was a baby, alive, inside of them, developing into its own person. The child had no choice. How could it protect itself and save its own life? The person who was once nurturing it was now killing it.

I believe that every baby is conceived deserves the chance at life. It is not a human’s place to play God. I think it is selfish to take what does not belong to you.

A 19 year old girl becomes pregnant. She has two choices; to take the baby’s life, or to allow the baby its right to life. She carries the child to full-term and births it. A social worker takes the baby from her. The girl has chosen adoption. She knows that she cannot handle raising a child at this point in her life. She made a decision that would affect both her and her child, however, she allowed her child to live.

I am now 21 years old. My birthmother gave me the opportunity to live an amazing life. She offered me things far above what she could have given me. She has given me amazing parents who love and support me. I would have it no other way. I am thankful for the unselfish decision she made and for giving me a chance at life.

I believe that every child deserves a chance at life, a chance to succeed and go far. Every child deserves equal opportunity. No matter what inconveniences each government may have to go through, every child, in every nation, should be given the right to school, shelter, food, clothing and love. No child is entitled to live a life of poverty and loneliness. No child chooses to be born into the life they have.

I believe that each person can make a difference in the life of a child. It may not be convenient, but life is not about us. You never know how your actions may impact another. Your influence may make a child’s dreams for the future come true.