Stephanie - Greenville, North Carolina

I believe that God healed my wounds.

I grew up in a family of five, I had two sisters, a mother and a father. Growing up I had to witness the fact that my dad was an alcoholic. I can remember when I turned sixteen. I would have to go and pick my dad up from the country club because he was too drunk to drive home. My dad used to call my mom and my sisters the worst names ever. One night I walked in on my dad and another woman kissing. I was devastated. How could my dad who loves us treat us so bad? How could my father break my heart so many times? I used to ask myself “why could I not have a father who did things with me and took me places?” I have never been able to experience having fun time with my dad.

I believe that my dad does not know how to treat us because he was never loved as a child. I never knew what it meant to have someone care for me until I became a follower of Jesus Christ. God took my pain and turned it into good. God showed me what true loves is when you lay down your life for another.

Now when I look at my dad I see a hurt man crying out for someone to love him. Instead of hating him for the way he treated me and my sisters. I show him the love of Jesus. God took my wounds and healed me. God showed me that I did not have to be bitter or hate him. I just needed to love him . Sometimes I want to get mad. Then God reminds me that even though I did not have a earthly father I do have a heavenly father who loves me and is faithful.

Because of my situation I have been able to help girls who are in the same situation as I was. I use my wounds to heal others wounds. I know now why God allows us to go through obstacles so in the end His name will be glorified.