Justin - Magalia, California

A helicopter takes off from the rooftop on its way to save a life. The pilot has a master’s degree in business administration, 3 kids and a loving wife. The pilot camps, skis and goes on annual fishing trips to Yellowstone. The pilot would do anything for anyone no matter what because to him, helping people is a way of life. The pilot is my father, Marty. I believe I have the best dad anyone could ever ask for and better yet, receive.

I don’t know who my biological father is, nor do I care to ever find out. I was told he left my mom when he found out she was pregnant, so I was born without a father. From as far back as I can remember it was just my mom and I living in a tired old house in the middle of Durham Ca. I was 3 when Marty came into my life. At first I was very coy about the situation and wasn’t sure how to act. After all I had never had a male figure in the household. All of us moved to Magalia and started a new life. Marty began teaching me about the outdoors like how to fish, camp and find your way around the woods if you get lost. We started skiing and road biking when I got older as well.

I believe I have the best father anyone could ever ask for because my father doesn’t just think of himself. He flies the helicopter at Enloe hospital and manages the emergency room. I have personally had the chance to watch him in the office and see the kind the dedication he puts into his work, the people he works with, and himself. Everyday he applies himself and tries to be the best person he can possibly be while maintaining a perfect level of harmony with everything around him. My father has always offered me knowledge and is always a person I can go to for financial advise, relationship help, or anything I ever want to talk about.

My father has helped so many people in his lifetime and I am lucky to have him so close to me. We may not always get along but I wouldn’t be as successful as I am today without his guidance. He may not be my biological father, but ever since he adopted me when I was a young child, he has always been there for my mom and me and has always treated me like I was one of his own. I wouldn’t change what I have for the world. If I could have one wish, I would wish that I turned out to be half the man my father is, because with that, I could conquer the world.