Gloria - Los Angeles, California

My Best Friend was Abused

I am 12 years old, and I am a seventh grade student in South Central Los Angeles. I believe that kids should have the same respect as others.

When I was 7, I had a best friend that came to school with browses. Everybody laughed at her because none of the kids knew how it felt to have browses. I knew that she didn’t do that by her self, so I went to talk to her and told her what had happened. She said, nothing. So one day I followed her home after school. I was surprised of what I saw. Her dad was beating her up. I left running back home. Since then I didn’t saw her again. The next day I had a terrible news. My mom told me that she had died because she fell from the 3rd floor from her apartment.

Two months past, I turned 8 and now I don’t have her by my side. Everyday when I come out from school I pass by her house. Then I remember the nice times we pass together. I also go to her funeral and pray and tell her that I will always be here. But the good thing is that her father went to jail and now he is paying for everything bad that he did. But not only he is paying for what he did but for more other crimes he did.

This kinds of things are happening to not only my friend but to thousands of other kids.