Nan Toby - Port Townsend, Washington

Life is a blessing and I believe that time and health are gifts that change our lives as we grow

older. WHen my father died in 1974 he was only 58 years of age.He was my hero and the strongest person in my childhood.That night in the hospital in New Jersey by the ocean

I remember going into his room to be with him and how that moment in time

gave me an opportunity to share all my thoughts and feelings I had never been able to tell him.That last nite revealed to me how fragile our lives may be and how I must live my life with a deeper purpose and focus.

After the ten days of grieving which people of Jewish faith usually do I

saw all the different things my father did that influenced and helped people.

I decided to move to a small town in upstate Vermont with my young son to teach pre-school children.This decision led me on a challenging path for my career and life as a single mother.

Working and living in Vermont make me stronger and more self-confident.Those were the qualities that I learned from my father.His parents had lived through the Depression and he was always motivated to work and use his mind to create new ideas to survive in his business. So I still had my father with me as I dug out my car after a snowfall.His memory kept me going in many ways.And still does!

I now had given myself a new place to raise my son and

expose him to a wide

variety of people.As he grew up in New England he learned t o pursue his dreams,just like my father did.So on this New Year I want to recall how rare and beautiful it was to have had my father in my life.

I honor his memory.