Regina - Rocky Face, Georgia

I believe in Grandmother’s

We learn most of our life values from our families. Although some lessons are learned from the mistakes of others, the most important values come from examples set by those people who are closest to you. My grandmother was my role model. She taught me about important lessons such as, the value of love for my family, forgiveness for others, and respect for my self. When I was a young girl, I remember how she sacrificed herself for her family. She never sat down and was always the last one to eat a meal. Her abundance of love seemed to flow from her hands. When asked why she did so many things for her family, grandma would smile and say, “family love makes life worth living.” Because of her example, I am a better mother to my children. As I grew older, I learned that life can bring many heartaches. Others can inflict such pain that moving on can seem impossible. Because hate is such a heavy load to bare, grandmother would tell me that forgiveness is as much for me as it is the other person. Without forgiveness we would carry the burden of pain with us throughout our lives. Whenever hatred comes my way, I try to remember my grandmother’s words and choose to forgive. Self respect is the most important value I received from my grandmother. She would remind me how important it is to love myself. “How can anyone else love and respect you, if you don’t have those things for yourself?” True happiness in life, begins from within yourself. Whenever life has gotten hard, and I have forgotten how important I am, her whispers of self-confidence have carried me through the turmoil. Many people have influenced my life, though none have touched me more than my grandmother. She not only taught with her words, but also by the way she lived her life. The values she taught me of love, forgiveness, and self respect will be with me forever.