Jenna - Oakwood, Illinois

Have you ever thought that you could never achieve something you always wanted? Everyone has dreams and aspirations, but the only question is who will have the determination to follow those dreams? I believe that you should follow your dreams and aspirations even if you think you can’t reach them.

This past summer, I had an interest in being in the Miss Georgetown Fair Queen Pageant. Naturally, I wanted my friends and family’s opinions on whether or not I should be in the pageant. When I asked my friends and family they were all very supportive of me, which made my decision clear I was going to be in the Miss Georgetown Fair Queen Pageant.

I never really thought I would be in a pageant, because I always thought you were conceited if you were in one. But, than I realized if I was just myself, I wouldn’t act the way that some “pageant girls” do.

The day before the pageant my dad told me, “Just be yourself; you are Jenna Hazelbaker, and don’t forget you are in this to win it, follow your dream!” I never thought I would win the pageant it was my first time ever in a pageant, and I didn’t really know what to expect. I had to give a speech, be interviewed, and compete in evening gown, swimsuit, and a pop question on stage. I thought that for my first time in a pageant I did fine, and I was anxious to remember all I had learned to take back next year and do better in the next pageant. But my plan to go back and compete next year didn’t work out like I thought.

The end of the pageant was near, and they were about to announce who would be the new Miss Georgetown 2006. I was excited because I had won a scholarship. At least I had won something! But, then they called out, “Your new Miss Georgetown 2006 is contestant number 20, Jenna !” I thought I was going to die right there! I was the new Miss Georgetown. I thought they couldn’t be right this is all a dream they had to have counted the points wrong, but they didn’t I really was Miss. Georgetown 2006.

My dream came to life that night, something I never thought would actually happen to me. But, because I had the determination and the support of my family and friends I achieved my goal. Not everyone is as lucky as I am to have that support, but even if I didn’t have that support it would have given me more determination to do well. Even though I never really thought I would win the pageant, I had that little bit of hope deep down inside, which is what pushed me to be in the pageant in the first place. Following my dream was not easy, but I will always remember to be true to myself and to always follow my dreams no matter what.