Brianne - Cenntenial, Colorado
Themes: gratitude

Being Grateful

“In difficult times, it’s so hard to look around and to see what to be grateful for.”

–Alice Barrett—

Even though I am only fourteen years old, I have had many opportunities to remember that I’m grateful. I’ve been on several missions’ trips with my church, to low budget towns and third world countries. And I have seen poverty, lack of housing and food, as well as filth. That today I look back on and realize I have so much to be thankful for.

I live in a favorable house, and before now I have been rottenly ungrateful for the simple things that I take for granted. Such as heating and electricity, even a front door. I remember driving through Mexico, looking through the car window at the cardboard houses, and even houses that were made out of soda pop cans. There was even a car that had fallen off the side of the road, that was just sitting there. While we were in Mexico we built a second building for a local church there. Even though it was small and not amazing, the looks on their faces was worth it. They weren’t looking for something amazing, they were looking for something durable. I think people take advantage of now, in 2006, because it’s all about looks and the next greatest thing. At the time I was too little to understand what was going on, but recently, when I have just gotten back from a missions trip in southwest Colorado, it hit me like a ton of bricks. I took a thorough glance around my room. I have a heater, a T.V., a window, a closet full of clothes, and a computer. When I went down to southwest Colorado we worked with kids, and during snack time they wanted more and more snack, because they told us that they didn’t eat very often. It truly saddened me and opened my eyes to how fortunate I was to have simple things, like plenty of food.

I also remember how happy those people were. They were grateful for what they had, because they knew that other countries were worse off than they were. It’s just a joy to be with people that are so simple, loving and grateful. In America we are so involved in worldly things, when in other countries they are only wondering if they will find some good water for that day. I’m blessed and thankful for what I have and who I am.

“Be grateful for the home you have, knowing that at this moment, all you have is all you need.”

–Sarah Ban Breathnach–