Kelsey - Arlington, Virginia
Themes: change, family, love

I Still Love You.

We need to talk. Four small worlds that can change life as you know it. Four days after my twelfth birthday, my parents sat me down to “talk”, and they told me that they had come to the decision that they were going to get a divorce. After such huge news, it was not surprising that I simply could not accept what I was hearing. I had always thought that love was the most powerful feeling of all, that it could stand the test of time. I always knew my parents fought a lot, but it always seemed like a “lover’s quarrel”, key word ‘love’. The next day at school, and through the next week, every wedding ring I saw, every sign of affection I encountered, I believed was a lie. I was mad at my parents, and was sure that since they had, somehow, ended up not loving each other, they would inevitably end up not loving me. I began to think that love was some big joke that only a few people understood; my parents, my bachelorette, fifty year-old aunt, and Mrs. McKnight, a divorcee with at least 14 cats. I just didn’t see how my parents could not just work it out. When I was younger, that was how they always told me to handle my problematic situations. “Find a compromise that works for everyone.” They were my parents, my elders. They were the adults I was supposed to look up to more than anyone, and for some reason I just couldn’t understand why in the world they could not work it out. The fact that a problem could be so huge that it had no solution…was just mind boggling. The thought that they could throw away all the memories, all the fun, and the entire family that they had spent years building, that was supposed to stick beside each other through everything…I was just dumbfounded.

It took a long time, and a lot of help from the people around me, to realize that family is the strongest bond possible, and just because people can not be together, does not mean they do not love each other. The times I have had with my family and my sisters will not fade, and I will always have them in my heart. Although things will never be the same, I have to make adjustments along with everyone around me. I know that my parents made the right choice because I have never seen my mom as happy as she is with her new boyfriend, Frank.

I believe I am really lucky in that I still see my family as a whole and that there is such a thing as love, and that someday I will find it for myself. This I believe.