Brian - Arlington, Virginia
Themes: carpe diem

Robert Frost once wrote: “Some say the world will end in fire, some say in ice.” It was when I read these lines last year in my tenth grade English class that I realized, from what I’ve seen of this world, neither would suffice.

After this thought occurred, it hit me that I am a mere spec of dust compared to the earth and all of its wonderful places. My mind continued to wander off on random tangents about life on earth. I thought about how there is far more to life then just sleeping, eating, school and the corporate world. In fact, there are millions of people, places and experiences that are just begging to be witnessed and enjoyed. As my mind continued to wonder about the philosophies of life, I began wondering about all the time I have spent over the last 16 years not truly enjoying life to the fullest. It occurred to me that at least a third of my waking hours since I was 6 and older, have been spent at school. This is not to say that I don’t ever enjoy life while I am at school, just that I don’t enjoy it some of the time.

Next, my mind began wandering through all the memories I have of places in different parts of the world that I have been fortunate enough to visit. I recalled memories of the Caribbean, Hawaii, Mexico, Australia, The Dominican Republic and countless other places. I then realized that when I was able to travel to these exotic locations, in most cases, I was too young and naive to truly appreciate where I was. At this point, I started making promises to myself about how I would learn to appreciate the finer things in life and travel the world if ever given the chance.

I learned a lot more about myself from that Robert Frost poem then I would have ever thought possible. I realized that life is only so long and that you should live every minute of it to the fullest extent. So in conclusion, I now know that I should make an effort to see this great world, be a sponge and live every day like its my last. This I believe.