Nathan - Murray, Utah

I believe in the gift of kindness. Kindness is something that is almost looked down upon in society today. Everywhere you go, all you see is anger. Driving down the road, you will get cut off. Going to the grocery store, people will run you over. In high school, you weren’t one of the cool kids unless you were a jerk to everyone around you. But there were those kids, the ones who befriended everybody. The ones who were looked down upon by the ‘jocks’ and the ‘preps’ also who were looked up to by the ‘nerds’ and the ‘band geeks’. At first, when I saw this, I didn’t exactly comprehend what was going on, what i mean by this, is that I was on the receiving end of this friendship, and i owe everything I am today to the boy that befriended me.

I used to be the shy kid who sat at the back of the class and never talked to anyone. I was the short fat kid who was made fun of regularly, i even had the great nickname of “phatts”…days I try to forget. But I can remember this day like it was yesterday. 7th grade, I was sitting in my Utah History class, and we had a break because the class finished the assignment early and this kid who was sitting behind me, I did not know this kid at the time, but he turned and introduced himself to me, and his name was Bryson. I’ve seen this kid around, everybody knew who he was, and he was a funny and all around awesome kid, now he was talking to me of all people. After this conversation, he said something along the lines of “dude, lets hang out sometime”. So, we did, He didn’t care who i was or what i did, and i knew i could be myself around him, so after a while, I picked up some of his quirky traits and developed into my own person, who eventually became Vice President in the student body.

If it wasn’t for him and his kindness, I would still be that lonely boy sitting in the corner, not knowing what to do. So reach out to people you see, at school or at work, you never know what could happen, you could have a new best friend that you haven’t even met yet.