Rachel - Greenwood village, Colorado

Be Yourself

By: Rachel Swearingen

“To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best night and day, to make you everybody else means, to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting.” E.e. Cummings

Looking into a mirror, you see your eyes, nose, eyebrows, lips, hair, ears, and your neck down. What we don’t think about when we look into a mirror is who we are. Past all the clothes and hair there is someone deep down inside of you and you need to live them out. People judge you for what you wear or how you look, but you are more that that and each and every day people are trying to make you be someone you aren’t. We don’t see it and sometimes we don’t even know we are doing it, but we can be living someone else’s life, and following along just like a shadow.

“God has given you one face, and you make for yourself another,” said William Shakespeare. That is so true for each and every one of us. We try to be someone we’re not whether it’s a friend, movie star, or teacher. We are always trying to be someone else in a little or big way. It’s good to have role models and people we look up to; however, when we change our whole selves to be like them then we are taking things a little too far. I see so many people trying to be different and it makes me feel sad. I have tried to copy people’s personalities before. A girl that went to middle school with me had an amazing personality and sometimes I tried to be just like her. I thought that people would like me better if I had her fun personality but really, they liked me better for who I was. That really taught me something and it always plays in the back of my mind.

In order to be you, you need to know who you are. Your strengths, weaknesses, along with your talents. Some of my strengths are my leadership skills and, I am self confident. My primary weakness is my problem with self control, especially with my brother. We all have our problems and we need to strive to overcome our weaknesses and use our strengths to do well and help others.

Love who you are and know yourself. These things will help you stand firm to overcome peer pressure, and many more obstacles in life. Be confident and sure of what you believe. When you love yourself you will love others around you and when you are unique, people will look up to you and realize that you understand the importance of knowing who you really are.