Justin - Omaha, Nebraska

Christmas, Thanksgiving, and sometimes the Fourth of July. These are only days out of the year that my family and I get together and have a memorable time together. My family consists of myself, my grandparents, aunt, uncle, and cousin. My father never married my mother, and lives in a different state. My mother was killed in a car accident in 2005; leaving me to live with my grandparents for at least 3 years.

Before my mom died, it seemed as if we spent more time with my family. Every once in a while she would just say to me “come on, we’re going on a drive.” And we would usually venture over to my aunt and uncle’s house. I loved going there, even though it was rare. We would all have such a good time together by watching a movie, playing pool, or just sitting and talking about childhood memories. I loved watching my mom and uncle together; they acted as if they were still kids. I love that kind of family relationship. When, after 30 or so years, they could still have a strong relationship with each other.

After my mom died, I had a hard time spending time with my family for a while. We were all experiencing difficulty with her being gone. Today, I am in very close contact with my cousin, now a freshman in college. We talk almost every day, and plan get-togethers often: such as going to see a movie or going bowling. I enjoy spending time with him, because by doing so, I feel closer to my family, and it also gives me a sense of maturity. I am of the legal driving age, and I can go wherever I wish. But mostly, the sense of maturity comes from my cousin being older than I, and by me hanging out with him, even while he’s in college, makes me think that we are more than just cousins – we’re friends.

I believe strongly in close family relationships. Without my family being there for me, I would have the hardest of times trying to succeed in life at this point. They are preparing me to live a wonderful life; I’m very grateful for that. I know that I lack a mother and a father and also I have no siblings. So having the family I do around me all the time is very special. I understand that there are families out there that have mothers, fathers, brothers and sisters. I do not wish to have that type of family. I am perfectly fine with the family I have been given. There are many young children in the world who have no families. And those are the children that I feel sorry for. Because I believe in having a loving family that is there to talk to and spend quality time with all the time.