Nicholas - Louisville, Kentucky
Themes: tolerance

Do What You Do

“Do What You Do” is a quote that you might hear passed around some of my friends. It has a different meaning to each of us but I think that I am the only one that it actually has serious meaning to. I am bi-racial, or mixed as most people know it as. Growing up I have been given a lot of stereotypes. At first it seemed like a bad thing but I know realize that facing all those issues have really helped me in the long run.

Growing up I was always put into one group of people. Kids either thought of me as black or they thought of me as white. They would expect me to act like the certain group I was in. If kids thought of me as a black kid and I had a white friend, or vice-versa, I was treated differently, almost like an outcast.

Although I didn’t like what was happening I figured there wasn’t much I could do about it. I thought that that’s just how the world works. There was only black and white, no gray area. I did everything in my power to try to completely act one race, even though I wasn’t. I would have certain tendencies, or qualities, though that would stick out among the other kids. I just chalked it up as being different, since that’s all I had ever known.

All the way up until high school I figured I wouldn’t ever really fit in anywhere. But when I got into high school I realized that there were so many kids that were different. Not all of them fell into one certain clique either. They all had different likes and dislikes, enjoyed doing different things. They didn’t seem to care that they weren’t the stereotypical black kid, or Asian, or anything like that. I finally realized that the only reason I had been living my life the way I had was because I was just afraid to be different. I didn’t want to be the person that I truly am. I just wanted to be the kid that was like everyone else.

I believe that everyone should be who ever they choose. They shouldn’t try to stay in one clique. They should do whatever they are good at, not what people expect them to do. I can think of only one thing to sum up what I am trying to say “Do what you do”.