Christopher - State College, Pennsylvania

Competition Drives Us All

I believe that competition drives people to find inner strength, which they did not previously know they had. People are forced to bring out the best in themselves. We compete to prove that we can excel above our opponents and show our leadership abilities. Everyday I engage in competition, so I know what it is like to matchup against hundreds of thousands of people, all striving for the same goal, and I expect to win. I love every minute of pushing myself to be better than some of the best business students in the country, because it truly allows me to realize my full potential.

When I was a freshman, just starting out in a new school, I listened in on a lecture given by a business teacher about the school’s Future Business Leaders of America competition team. That teacher told me that contests in the business world are so cut-throat, that towards the end the strong leave their teammates behind. He said that in order to succeed and reach the top I must only worry about myself and excel past my team members. After listening to the speaker, I was motivated to participate in the competition; an exam that would rank me against other students. The day of the exam I found myself sitting in an auditorium filled to capacity; after looking around watching all of my teammates bite off their nails and sweat through their shirts, I knew that it was up to me to carry my team. After the two hours of rigorous testing, I felt confident that I did well. I knew going into the test that I was the only strong one on my team, and the results proved it. I succeeded. I was the only member of my team to advance to the final round.

After experiencing how brutal this competition truly can be, I decided to put my ideas to the test. The next round involved developing a business idea. With a cash prize and a television appearance at stake, I knew many students would try their best. I designed a unique gaming system that would change the way kids study for the SAT’s. After being told by my teacher that my idea was weak, I was even more determined to win. I made a few minor changes, and soon found myself with a handful of cash and a television interview. After winning this competition two years in a row, I believe it helped me to stand out in the crowd of business students. No matter who you are, you must strive to win. I was given the chance to show off my strength, and I succeeded.

Here I am today, at one of the most competitive Universities in the world, challenging myself once again. Competition will never go away, and you must always be strong and never give up. People like the feeling of winning; it is the human nature to want to win. I know that with every competition I am in, I must always put forth my best effort, and bring out the best of my abilities.