Ariana - Arlington, Virginia

This I Believe…

In life we’re taught many things that seem petty and others important at the time. Those who cared took the time and effort to teach us how to tie our shoes, how to use our silverware, and how to make our bed. Later we began picking up on the other things like how to sneak out of our house, how to fool our parents and our sisters. We even began to pick up on strategies on how to lie. Every move we make a factor of the future product, whether it’s good or bad. Inevitable.

My parents always used to say that we’re all what our families are. You’d think that a parent’s lectures become more and more redundant after a few years, but instead they teach us to be individuals and independent adults. Our parents know that we are not under their arms forever. The more they realize that we are growing into our brains and into our potential, they always tried to make it visible and believable to us. One night my mom came home from work and was upset that the dishes weren’t put away, the TV was on, the rooms were dirty, and none of my homework was done. I received a stern lecture that seemed to have lasted my entire childhood. The lecture ended with “I just want you and your sister to learn to be responsible individuals.” That night made me understand that the only reason that parents stress it to provide a better life for us. My mom always said that children are only barrowed.

As we learn things from others, they learn from us. We don’t realize the large impact that we have on those others. The funny thing is that they don’t realize the large impact they have on us. And as we push the limits of the ones we love just to see how much they can take, more than anyone, we end up surprising ourselves. Because they love us, they have the flexibility to sustain throughout the worst of temper storms. Even though we say we hate each other, we’re really afraid for them. Even though things may seem to be reaching an end, things are really just beginning. And even though the ones we love may be miles and miles away, our hearts walk with them. Somewhere there’s someone thinking of us and using their time preciously. We are only alone when we want to be because we have enough memories to keep us company for the rest of our lives. I believe we are all indispensable.