Dana - Los Angeles, California
Themes: equality

We Shouldn’t Have To Be A Certain Race To Have Equal Rights

I believe in equal rights.

When I was little about the age 8, I thought that everyone loved each other even if they were a different race, but it turns out that some people don’t. When my dad was shot, the detectives never found the guys that shot him. My dad thinks that it’s because he’s not white or black or maybe because he doesn’t have blue eyes. This is what happened.

My dad didn’t come home from work one night. My dad always came home after work. In the morning, my mom got a phone call from the hospital King Drew. I wasn’t awake but my cousin told me everything. My cousin eavesdropped my mom and my grandma’s conversation about that phone call. She told me that my dad was in the hospital because some gangsters shot him. I didn’t believe what she said, I couldn’t.

Then, I went to my mom to ask her if it was true and she confirmed to me that my dad was in the hospital. I couldn’t believe it, but I had to. I couldn’t go to the hospital because I was too young.

When my dad came back from the hospital to our house, he told me everything. He said that when he was walking home, there was a car crash and that the person who crashed was a Latino. That Latino was getting beat up by African Americans. This other Latino drove the car but crashed into a church, where my dad was walking.

The guy that was driving the car went down to hot wire the car and my dad just stood there. When that was happening, a car with 4 African Americans parked in front of the crash car and where my dad was standing. 1 of them said to shoot my dad but the one with the gun didn’t want to. The one who didn’t have the gun told the guy with the gun to shoot my dad. My dad just raised his hands and said that he wasn’t involved with any of this. The African Americans didn’t believe him and they still shot my dad under his neck, paralyzing his right arm. Now my dad can’t move his right arm at all.

It’s been 5 years since that terrible night and still those 4 men aren’t found. My dad believes that the detectives didn’t work on the case because he’s not white or black. We don’t have to be a certain type of race to have equal rights. Everyone should be treated equal because we are all humans. This I believe.