Anja - Charlotte, North Carolina
Themes: peace

I am sixteen years old. I am sitting in a classroom surrounded by teenagers. As everyone waits for the teacher to come in, they start talking. They talk about what they did this past weekend and just how much fun they had. Before I even realize what’s happening around me, I realize I’m trapped in a classroom with a box like structure that’s filled with unbearable noise. No one will be quiet. They seem like they could talk forever.

No one likes awkward silences. They make people feel vulnerable, but no one realizes that not all silences have to be awkward. People are so used to noise that they feel its necessary to have it at all times. I believe peace is the true, genuine feeling of rest and happiness. I believe that silence is the time where everyone is quiet and lost in their mind. When everyone is surfing on the wave of thought. Lastly, I believe that to experience peace you need silence.

These days it seems like everyone is so busy, they have so much to do, so much to say, no one ever gets any true rest. I do it too. I’ll get caught up in trying to balance school and friends, and I just can’t do it. I’ve realized I can’t handle all of the things that come with friends and school – not at the same time. Still I’m human and I’ll make the mistake of trying.

I believe silence is the only real way to experience peace. Our lives are so chaotic already that all of this noise just makes everything worse. No one can deny that they wished things were more peaceful, that they could be truly happy. So next time, when you’re complaining about how everything is out of control and hectic, take a minute and “enjoy the silence, it’s the only true way to experience peace.”