Brandon - Matthews, North Carolina
Themes: carpe diem

I believe that regret can ruin your life. I believe that the past is simply something that screws up the present, and even the future. I believe that if you continually regret events in your life, you will miss out on many parts of your life that should have been fully lived. I believe that pushing regret out of your life will make your life bliss. I believe that present and future happiness is far more important than past regret.

Many events in my life have been fully regrettable, I will not deny that. Up until this year, I had a major tendency to regret the things in my life that I didn’t feel that I had done well enough. I had been dating someone for nine months. This was someone that I truly loved and cared about, the kind of person that I would have done anything possible for. Those nine months were quite possibly the most incredible days of my life. They were definitely the most memorable. We spent nearly every day together, and I was positive that it was going to last forever. I was soon proven wrong, and my entire world was pulled out from underneath me.

The person whom I was dating had decided that I was no longer what they needed in their life. They gave me many reasons for the break-up, and told me that we could still be friends even though we had broken up. The reasons that were given to me, however, were too much for me to handle. Many of the reasons involved things that I had said and done during the time of our relationship. I started to regret all of the things that I could have possibly done to cause the break-up. It made me so upset, that I began to block many of my friends and family out of my life because I was so hurt. During the time that I was so depressed, I saw the movie RENT. It was then that I heard the quote “Forget regret or life is yours to miss.” At that moment, I realized that I was wrecking my own life with regret, and that I had to stop.

Day by day, I stopped thinking about the break-up a little more. Eventually, I stopped thinking about it completely. A few weeks later, I found out from my friend that the reasons that I had been given were not even the true reasons that I had been broken up with. The real reason, I found out was that the person that I loved had found someone who, in their opinion, was better than me. So then I realized that I had been regretting things for months that weren’t even legitimate things to be regretting. This is what truly sparked my belief in the quote “Forget regret or life is yours to miss. Present and future happiness are far more important than past regret; this, I believe.