Lia - Centennial, Colorado

Spelling Hope

hope?- ho?p –

-to look forward to with desire and reasonable confidence.

-to believe, desire, or trust

-www.dictionary.com

I spell hope, not with H-O-P-E but with G-O-D. I believe that God is the faith in something better, my sunshine after a storm. I live my life everyday with hope; hope I’ll do great on my test or maybe I just hope that I don’t have a day with some sort of embarrassment.

I believe that when I strengthen my hope, it will create a better future. I know that I will always have to conquer the problems that arise in my life, but I believe that hope will get me through whatever comes my way. Yet, when I look out at the world that surrounds me, I see many threats and challenges outside my control. The conflict in Iraq is slipping into a civil war and the death and destruction keeps mounting. I see people dying in their desperate attempts to cross the U.S. Mexico border to feed their families. I see the devastation in New Orleans from Hurricane Katrina. I see all the pollution damaging our environment and the threat of global warming leading to a total collapse of the world that sustains us. I see all these horrible things happening in the world, and I believe that hope is what will get everyone through it.

I see hope in all the different religions in my community and around the globe. Every diverse religion is a different view of hope. A Christian’s view of hope is “Jesus”, Buddhists hope is “Buddha”, Jews put their hope in “Yahweh”, and Muslims view of hope is “Allah”. Even though there are so many views of hope, I think everyone should try and understand them. Recognizing these views and not disrespecting them is a huge step towards world peace. Sure you may not agree with every aspect of different religions, but we can’t afford to lose any hope in the world and it’s critical that we respect and nurture hope. My kindergarten teacher once told me, “Treat others the way you would like to be treated”. There is more to this than simply respecting each other, it’s really about helping hope grow in ourselves and others.

I believe that hope doesn’t have a certain spelling. You can spell it, exactly how you believe it.