Katelynn - Arlington, Virginia

How Will I Survive?

I have survived everything that has come my way, every hardship, and every tragedy. I believe the love that comes from true friendship can help you survive anything. Over the past few years, my troubles have ranged from deaths in my family to moving away from my home. Every time something went wrong I would pray to God to give me the strength to get through it, and then my phone rings or the doorbell sounds and I knew he was listening. Some say that you are lucky to find at least one true friend throughout your life which must mean I am truly blessed because I found six.

They are each so different and my bond with every one of them is so unique. Their names are: Kristen, Zully, Desiree, Joel, Eric, and Messai. Kristen has been around since I was two, whereas Eric came into my life last year but I believe that it doesn’t matter how long someone has been in your life, it matters how much they have contributed to it.

After fifteen years of living in Key West, my step dad got recalled to the marines and it was time to pack up. I arrived in Arlington the beginning of summer and all I could think was “this is going to be the loneliest summer of my life”. My thoughts were accurate because I had to wait months to meet anybody from up here but there was never a day that went by that Kristen, Zully, and Desiree did not call to make sure I was okay. Picking up the phone and dialing someone’s number seems like such a small thing to do but it is incredible how much it meant to me. Each of them have even taken trips up here to visit me and that right there is friendship!

School finally started and before I knew it, I was dating Joel. Our relationship started out as a typical high school romance but within weeks it had turned into so much more. We were best friends. Soon after, I got switched into a different sixth period and that is where I met Eric and Messai. From day one we were constantly laughing and a few months after, Messai went through a painful time in his life and that is when we turned into family. All of us were constantly hanging out and we were always there for one another when one of us was in need.

If you take a step back in your life, can you say that you have friends that have always been there for you? Can you say you have the type of friends where you never have to wonder if they are gossiping behind your back? I can say both. I have the type of friends where I know I can make it through any situation. I believe the love that comes from true friendship can help you survive anything.