Rachel - Centennial, Colorado
Themes: sports, work

Hard work will always pay off

“I can’t do it mom,” I said. “I will never be able to ride a bike.” It was hot and we were both tired. Why couldn’t I just give up and put my training wheels back on? I could just learn how to ride a bike some other day. Then my mom told me that I would never learn if I didn’t keep trying. As cliché as that sounds, it’s so true. If my mom hadn’t made me get back on that bike just a few more times, I might still be riding around with my training wheels. The moment that I got my balance, my mom let go, and I rode a bike for the first time ever, it was probably the best moment of my life, up until that point. It made me feel like I had just accomplished the greatest thing ever. I felt that way because of all the hard work I put into learning how to do it, then succeeding. I wouldn’t have felt the same way if I got right up and rode away the first time I tried. I believe that it is so important to work my hardest and try my best in everything I do.

I play volleyball and soccer, so I get that achieving feel a lot. In soccer, it’s the game-winning goal. In volleyball it is diving for the ball that seemed impossible to get, and then getting the ball up. In school, it’s when you get the difficult test back and see the A+ at the top of the paper. Why do these things make me feel so good? It is partially because I get a high five from my teammates and a congratulations from my parents and my teacher. But more than that, it is because I realize that all my hard work has paid off. The many practices I go to. Staying up until two in the morning studying for tomorrows test. The hard work makes it so much more worth it.

In my family, we don’t get everything we want. We work for our money, I get paid for doing my chores and cutting the grass. I have learned a few lessons from working for what I get. I have learned how to manage my money. Money management is a skill that I will need for my entire life and I am glad that I have learned it early on in my life.

By truly working hard at everything I do, it will make me a better person. I always crave the feeling I get after doing something good. Before a volleyball game, our coach told us to picture ourselves doing something awesome in the game. I pictured myself hitting the ball so hard that it hit the floor because nobody could get it. While I was picturing that, I was thinking about how I would feel afterwards. The way it makes me feel can’t exactly be put into words. I just know that I feel that way because of the hard work I put into it. And I know that every ounce of work I put into what I am doing, is completely worth it in the end. I believe that my hard work will pay off in the end of everything I do.

“If you can imagine it, you can achieve it; if you can dream it, you can become it.”

– William Arthur Ward