Radia - Arlington, Virginia

As I sit here thinking about what to write, I can’t help but think about the one thing in my life that is constant, my family. I am fortunate enough to have a family that I can trust, and lean on. They are my powerhouse, and they guide me through this thing that I like to call “life.” I would like to think that everybody has their family to keep them on the right track, but that’s not always the case. Unfortunately, I had the chance to know a teenage girl who lost herself because of her parents’ negative input in her life.

She was fifteen years old when she died. Her parents couldn’t help but blame themselves. The worst sight was watching her mom crying, and thinking about all her “should’ve, could’ve, would’ve.” The girl didn’t have the best relationship with her parents. As she got into her teenage years, she got in with the wrong crowd. She didn’t fail to blame it on her parents either. They knew it was because of them, and their unstable life that their daughter was making the wrong choices. There wasn’t a day where she didn’t argue with her mom about her friends, or school. Her mom told her that her friends weren’t welcome in the house; so she would end up staying at her friends’ place, sometimes overnight, leaving her mom to worry about where she was. She went missing, and a few days later, her mom got a phone call telling her that her daughter’s body had been found. I don’t believe that it was her parents’ fault. They had nothing to do with the cruel people that decided to take their daughter’s life. On the other hand, I do think they couldn’t hear her in those times that she called out for them. I am so thankful that my parents keep me on the right track with positive advice, and kindness. As I write these words, I am picturing my friend and the kind smile she always carried with her. She was very young and a little naive, and all she really needed was guidance, and a few loving words from the people she needed the most. May she rest in peace.

A family will be there for you through thick and thin, they will guide you to your successes, and they will be your pillars when you are breaking down, this I believe.