Lauren - Centennial, Colorado
Themes: family, sports

I believe that being a twin isn’t as easy as most people think it is.

If you thought that having an older or younger sibling was hard, try having a twin who is the exact same age, likes the same clothes and has the same friends as you do. Most people would think that it is cool having a twin, but the truth behind it is that not everything about being a twin is fun. Things like sharing common interests can be fun but not always.

In sports when it comes to having a twin you always feel like you have to win whatever you are competing in. My sister and I are swimmers and we are constantly challenging each other, whether it’s at practice or a meet. If you do the same sport as an older brother or sister you wouldn’t feel as bad when you lost to them because they have had more experience than you at whatever sport that is. If you are in the same sport as a younger sibling, chances are you will always beat them.

Many people’s perceptions of twins, is that they are best friends, and they love doing the same things. The truth is that not all twins are best friends and it sometimes gets annoying to be around them all the time. With my sister and me, it is difficult because we have all the same friends, we live together, we go to school together and we do the same sports. Sometimes I just wish that I could do stuff on my own without her.

With identical twins, like my sister and I, we can share clothes but sometimes it’s not as good as people think. Every time my sister and I wear something in common, like if it’s the same color or style, people obsess about how they think we’re matching just because we’re twins. If we were just friends, no one would point it out. It’s just because we’re twins that people notice.

Don’t get me wrong, I love my sister. My sister and I have some good times together, and we can have fun with the same friends, however sometimes it gets irritating. Another good thing is that someone is always there to experience new things with you. Take changing schools as a example, every time I changed schools my sister was always there doing the same thing so we support each other through whatever we are going through. That’s why I believe that people misjudge having a twin and what comes with it.