Ashleigh - Littleton, Colorado

“Life is like a box of chocolates; you never know what you’re gunna get.” Teenagers like me are still searching for what exactly they believe in. This line from Forrest Gump really sums it up; in life, you never know what you’re going to get especially when you don’t have a solid ground to stand on. I still have my whole life ahead of me to truly understand what I believe in. I think that happiness is not found in a bottle, pain pills, liquor, or make-up. Happiness is living your life and not trying to become what society wants you to be.

Most people think that life is a popularity contest; this is a huge problem with teenagers. Teens wanted to feel accepted in the world; at school, at home, and have friends they can go to if they’re in trouble. The other night, my parents called me downstairs to go see an episode on the nightly news about cyber bullies and the internet. There was a boy who killed himself just because he was being tricked by a girl who he liked. She told him that she liked him too but then one night turned it all around saying, “I would never like someone like you.” People make mistakes and leave them for a long time. Teenagers stereotype daily and never make that extra effort to get to know someone that looks a little different than them.

Life is best living by the moment and, for the moment, not worrying about yesterday because we don’t have control on what has already happened. Teens especially have a hard time letting go of the past and looking toward the future. I think that life is black and white, good and bad, fantasy and reality, right and wrong. But nowadays there is color, trying to be popular. Teenagers make things more complex then it has to be. Teens try so hard to be someone their not without giving it another look and finding out exactly what they want. Trying to be someone they’re not covers up what might be happening at home. Their parents might be too involved with work other than paying attention to their kids. When parents go to work, they might care more about making money than taking care of their own kids.

I think that life doesn’t have to be about living in the fast lane. In life, the best thing to do is to slow down to see the world and all it’s beauty. Looking at the overwhelming mountains, the immense ocean, and the never ending sky might make people understand what they believe in. To grow up and find out what I believe in is something I can’t wait to do. Even though I’m undecided, I still have my whole life to find out what I believe in. For now, I believe that I can just be a teenager; I don’t need to know what I believe at this very moment. All I do believe in is; life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you’re gunna get.