Paulo - Sacramento, California
Themes: place

The Perfect Environment

I always believed that the ideal environment was a home that had three bedrooms and two bathrooms with a white picket fence tucked away in a small suburban neighborhood, and that cities were places one visited but never lived in. Little did I know that my beliefs of the perfect environment was about to change. It didn’t happen right away, but more slowly, like putting a puzzle together. The first piece ended up being a place called True Love Coffee House in the downtown area of Sacramento. At True Love I found people I rarely came across where I lived, interesting people that over time became close and trusting friends, not to mention the best banana mocha I have ever tasted. Plus it was through this one puzzle piece that I found other connections. I learned about second Saturdays when almost every art studio in Sacramento opens it’s doors for people to see and buy the art that local artisans create, as well as independent films that are not usually available at the nearest movie-plex. I also started to enjoy the architect of the Victorian homes. I enjoy how they all seemed different in their own way, not because of the builder, but because the owners who put a little of themselves in to where they lived. Before I knew it, my intrest in the city started to snowball into an avalanche, and I started to discover that the traditional dream enviorment was not for me. I now see it as a bland enviroment where the flavors of life are few and far between, where the closest cultural hub would be at a shopping mall, and where unique people would possibly be few and far between. However, with a fall of one belief comes another: that the perfect environment comes not from the home, but from the connections and atmosphere that come along with your home which are rewards that can’t be matched.