Matt - Arlington, Virginia

“This I Believe”

I believe in brotherhood. To have a companion you look up to, that will guide you through life is like nothing else.

My brother was a huge influence on me growing up, and he’s a big part of my life. Parents can be a major role in your childhood, but an older sibling who has just gone through what you are about to is great. He led me in the right direction by correcting the mistakes that he encountered. Since parents grew up in a different era, they are at a disadvantage compared to someone who is two, three, or even four years ahead of you.

Jeff is now in his second year in college, and I am in my third year of high school. He has given me a plateau to reach going into senior year. He tells me that I have the potential to do great in life, and that any one person can do something if they put their mind to it. Sometimes I am not always motivated to do my best, to turn in that homework paper, or to study for that test I don’t understand. But when that phone rings, and he is on the other end, Jeff usually finds a way to curb my motivation towards school, instead of seeing how Jack Bauer will save the day again.

Without Jeff, I doubt I would have the success I am having inside and outside the classroom. Along with words of encouragement, he has also taught me how to handle different situations. A young adult growing up in this day of age could use a person to look up to that is around his or her age, and that has gone through the teenage years. I feel that someone who has an older sibling is a step ahead of one without, especially on the first day of middle school or high school.

An older sibling growing up also offers a layer of protection between you and the upperclassmen. High school can be tough, but with an older sibling and his buddies looking after you, you feel more comfortable in an abnormal environment.

So I believe that an older sibling can lead you through the teenage years; which can be some of the greatest and most grueling times in a young adult’s life. Like a shining light through a dark cave, my brother has always been there for me, and always will.