Alexandra - Arlington, Virginia

I could be at a restaurant or just out shopping when I will get approached by at least one person who just needs to talk. With some people it’s talking about their problems, with others it is discussing their successes. Whatever the topic is I have always listened to them, stranger or not everyone needs someone to talk to. Maybe it is the way I carry myself or maybe it is the familiarity I seem to possess, but people will look at me see someone they can confide in. Old and young, men, and women. I just listen and smile.

I believe that everyone has a hidden gift, that you produce an energy that attracts or repels people. Each being has an aura that is either welcoming or horrifying. I guess mine makes people feel comfortable in my presence.

I was out to eat with some of my friends, and an older Hispanic woman casually started conversing with me about her husband and her kids and her job.

This sort of thing had happened before but I could not understand why I was the one everyone seemed to share their secrets with. I was at a shoe store and my gift struck again. A man came up to me very politely and asked me how school was going. I answered and he spilled his guts to me about his divorce, his money problems, and his kids. Being 16, these issues are beyond me, but I listened and gave him advice to the best of my abilities.

My dad says this gift runs in the family. He is always being approached by people in hopes that he will be the key to helping them with their problems and getting some answers. My dad, having 40 years of experience, nonchalantly gives them advice and goes about his business. I asked him one day why people do that and he says it is a gift that he and I both possess.

I believe that this gift defines me and what my future holds for me. I seem to possess a characteristic that welcomes people. I guess I provide that friendly face that everyone needs to see and talk to. I like giving advice and helping people. Listening to peoples’ issues has become another part of my daily schedule.

I believe these gifts should not be ignored and that they are given to those who have a defined purpose in the world. Mine is to instill confidence in those who may have lost it or give others a little bit more faith in the kindness of humanity.