Ghita - arlington, Virginia

Sadness, anger, many mixed emotions felt. The feeling of betrayal and not being trusted was heartbreaking. The friendship that took many years to become a sisterhood was over in a heartbeat. Time passes by and wounds heal. Forgiveness and not holding grudges made me go on with my life. This I believe.

Wegahata and I met in the 6th grade when I asked her to borrow 25 cents for lunch because I was short that amount. The borrowing of the 25 cents started a beginning a friendship and sisterhood. She and I were so much alike, she was my twin sister. We thought the same way, dressed the same way. We did everything together. As the years of middle school flew before our eyes and before we knew it we were drifting apart. We hardly talked and when we did, we always argued.

The summer before we started high school we hang out a lot trying to fix our friendship, it worked for a while but after high school started we again grew apart. We didn’t have any classes together which didn’t help the situation. We started hanging out with different people. Then one night we had a big night planned out. A bunch of our friend that we haven’t really seen went out to the movies and dinner. After the movie ended we went downstairs to the food court and tensions were rising among some of our friends. We were all sitting at different tables. We were all chit chatting and someone asked me why wegahata and me don’t talk as much as we used to anymore and I told them the story on why. A couple minutes later I see wegahata coming towards me with all these false accusations saying I was talking about her in a negative way, which was all false. We started arguing and then we just started yelling at each. We both just had enough and both walked away from the situation. We left and didn’t speak for a couple of months.

A couple months later I was at home and my house phone rang and I looked at the caller ID to see who it was and I didn’t recognize the number but I picked and up. When I answered the phone a very hush spoken words came out saying “may I speak with ghita please” I answered this is she. She said “this is wegahata” and I was surprised after all these months of not talking of not even looking at each other at school she called me. We started talking and figuring out what happened that night and why it happened. We knew we couldn’t go back to the way we used to but It was a start.

Our friendship survived thick and thin and there are still many bumpy roads ahead. There are always going to be the good times and the bad but as along as you can forgive there is hope. I believe in forgiveness. This I believe.