Jessie - Arlington, Virginia

I absolutely love sports. Ever since I was a kid, I have always played sports. When I was younger, I played soccer and baseball. Now that I am older, I play lacrosse and field hockey. These team sports instilled great values, team spirit, and taught me a lot about myself and other people. I am very spirited and I always cheer like crazy at sporting events. In addition, I learned about having a good attitude and being a good sport whether my team won or lost. For instance, my freshmen year in high school, I played varsity field hockey. During the pre-season in August, we all made a team goal. Our cheer was “banner!” This cheer represented our goal to win the district championship banner for the first time in Washington –Lee history. At the end of the season, we did it. We won the district championship and went on to first round of regionals. Although we lost there, we played hard and all of us worked like crazy to get there and that’s all that mattered.

It is extremely important for people to play sports, especially as young children. Child hood is when people are influenced the most and learn key values to live by. Children pick up on lots of little things by watching their peers and learning from adults that work with them. Kids learn how to behave properly and how to treat other people nicely and with respect. Team sports also help to instill good behavior, discipline, and establish reasonable expectations for kids to work towards. Sports teach children to always try their best and to work to achieve their goals. I often times set goals for myself to achieve that could be anything from getting a good grade to winning a game to just doing my best. By learning how to set and achieve goals at such a young age, I have been able to be more successful in reaching my goals now that I am older.

Furthermore, team sports mean that children are working together. My first real interaction with large groups of other kids was when I started playing soccer at about age five. This was my first real opportunity to learn to get along with and really work well with other kids of my age. This was also one of my first chances to deal with adults who were not necessarily related to me. This made me learn to respect adults’ authority and to listen to their instructions. I learned how to deal with other people. Without learning the basics of sharing and getting along with other people, I would have a lot of trouble in school and on group projects and activities.