Courtney - 22207, Virginia

Beliefs are only thoughts that can only be achieved by you. For the Washington Capitals, they didn’t even have a chance to try to win the Stanley cup. It was in 8th grade when foolish Ted Leonis decided to trade most of our top hockey players. As a major hockey fan, I’ve been following the caps since I moved to Virginia, which was in 5th grade. Jamior Jagr, a player born in the Czech Republic, was traded to the New York Rangers weeks before the Stanley Cup Playoffs. Jagr was our top players in assists and goals.

Another player that was traded was Robert Lang. He’s also from the Czech Republic and he’s an excellent team player who gave his fellow players many opportunities to score goals. He was also traded around the same time as Jamoir Jagr and he was traded to the Detroit Redwings. The Redwings have always had an excellent record when it comes to winning the Stanley Cup. The Washington Capitals already made the playoffs, so trading these players was probably the stupidest thing that I’ve ever seen in my entire life.

Once again, it didn’t stop there. Peter Bondra was then traded to the Ottawa Senators, then Sergei Gonchar was traded to Boston Bruins. After that, Michael Nylander was traded to the New York Rangers. A well respected African American, Mike Grier, was traded to the Buffalo Sabers.

As a result, the Washington Capitals were left with nothing, yet I still had faith in my favorite team. Even after all of these tragedies, the Capitals’ management realized that we were failing as a whole team. Alexander Ovechkin was traded to the Washington Capitals from Moscow, Russia.

‘ Many fans lost a lot of respect for the Capitals’ management, but I stuck with them. I didn’t cheer for any team other than the one I actually believed in. I tell myself everyday that they Capitals will make it to the Stanley Cup Finals. It’s only a matter of time and money.