Chris - Sammamish, Washington

I believe in the essence of laughter. It is so important that it is as vital to life as nourishment itself. Not a day goes by without a single laugh being uttered from your mouth. It just doesn’t happen. Laughter is one of the key ingredients to happiness because it brings about a smile quicker than most any action can. There are countless times a joke from a friend or just something funny he said has made my day. We still talk about some of them years later. Whether it had been the wacky antics in my 8th grade science class or a discussion about which type of pie is better while communicating with friends on the internet via microphone, laughter has always been there for me.

The other good thing about laughter is that it’s quite contagious. Just the sound of it makes you feel good inside. No matter what you’re doing, if you hear someone laughing you stop to ask “What’s so funny?!” It can come at any time and from any person, place, or thing. There are even sites on the internet solely based on making you laugh, as inappropriate as some of them may be.

The best laughter is that shared with friends, family, or just anyone else you know. Is it possible to be at a family get together without having your great uncle tell some story that no matter how many times your family has heard it, they’ll still be laughing the whole night about it? I know my family has a couple of stories like that. Which reminds me…

I remember when I was young, age 8, and I just started playing golf with my dad so my grandparents decided to take me to a nearby Sports Authority to buy me my very own golf bag. Well, we got there and found the golf bag aisle and I pick out a nice golf bag while my grandparents are looking around the aisle at the other bags. So I look around and discover a big display of fold up golf chairs, about one hundred of them all set up in a square shape to make them look nice. They’re all set up and folded out so you can sit on them if you like, which is just what I did. I picked a chair that made up the corner of the chair display and sat down for a bit. No sooner did I sit down did my grandparents walk over and tell me it was time to go. Well, since I’m 8 my legs didn’t exactly reach the ground while I was sitting on this chair so I decided to jump off. I did so and in the process managed to knock down the chair. This, of course, proceeded to knock down the whole display of chairs one by one. My grandparents and I found this quite funny; unfortunately we can’t say the same for the clerk who had to set the display back up.

That story gets told every time I’m with my grandparents and there’s other family around, even if everyone has heard it. It always makes us laugh and we are all happy to hear it. Laughter brings us together and it brightens up our day. It’s a powerful tool that should be used often and without discretion, as long as it’s appropriate that is.