Cody - Sunbury, Pennsylvania

A friendship is something refreshing, yet unrefined in today’s world. It is something each and every person is believed to possess. People experience situations in their lives that define their friendships, but they don’t allow conflict to destroy something that is supposed to last forever. I, too, believe that friendships are long lasting, but disappointment seems to be the result of a lifetime of believing. The views I once had have now transformed into skepticism and caution when addressing the social world. This I believe, friendships are molded like clay, delicate at first and solid in the end. The outcome could be a masterpiece, but the refined qualities are what make it priceless.

When clay is being molded, starting out is the hardest part because the decisions made at the beginning affect the product that is created. The delicate aspects of a rising friendship are comparable to this situation. I believe that people should create a strong base for their friendship before the rest is developed. From personal experience, I’ve learned that I cannot force a friendship that is inevitable; it will only lead to frustration. I’ve once experienced a friendship that did not have a strong basis. I saw this friend as my brother, and as a result I was caught off guard by an enemy in disguise. By building a base with honesty, commitment, and sensitivity I am able to become aware of where I’m headed and what I can expect. I see a simple gesture of hello as the very first building block to the base of a friendship; it’s like making the clay.

As in a sculpture, once the base is completed there is only room left for creativity. As a friendship is formed, it can begin to get stronger and grow to become something that’s solid. I now obtain a friendship that has become a constant pleasure in my life. I attended high school with this friend, but the relationship I have with her now is so strong because of the base that was built. I always ask myself if I know someone that makes me smile before a word is spoken, because that’s a friendship which is molded completely. I believe that the final stage of developing a friendship is one of a mystery because people will only form a relationship to the extent of what they can share.

Ben Jonson, an English Renaissance dramatist, once said, “True friendship consists not in the multitude of friends, but in their worth and value.” I would rather own one sculpture that had the value of one thousand, then one thousand that had the value of one. This I believe, friendships are not something I get for free; they’re the most expensive thing I own because if I mold it correctly it is priceless.