Arek - Newtown Square, Pennsylvania

I believe in the power of forgiveness. I myself can feel very angry once in a while at those who give me a hard time, whether it is done out of spite or insolence. Sometimes, depending on what mood I am in or how vicious the attack was, I supress that rage from that moment, feeling very vengeful

later. As much as I yearn for such a satisfaction, I keep reminding myself

this: The universe is a very big place. Big enough to fit trillions of galaxies. Our planet resides on one of them, sharing it with some other planets, all revolving around the same sun much bigger than all the others combined. Even if it comes to the one day a ruthless dictator conquers the world and calls himself God, what he has in his possession, in comparison to the rest of the universe, does not even come close to a dust bunny. If this

does not look pathetic enough looking at this picture from the view of the universe, then guess how you would appear trying to dominate over one person. In the end, trying to obtain power for the sake of personal gain is

not worth the effort. This why it takes far greater courage to forgive those who did us wrong than to swear revenge. Although people tell us to treat insults as a test of patience, we should treat compliments as a test of

humility. Either which way, the ego is at stake and to maintain a peace of mind, we must take all things attributed to us like a grain of salt.

For the sake of supporting my argument, I would like to bring up Steve Irwin’s death. As much as it was a shock to his loved ones, a greater shock would be how the fans dealt with this tragedy. One of the first

headlines I would hear his stingrays being killed at random, hoping to avenge his death. Although a stingray was responsible for his death, what these people are doing would not be of service. Steve Irwin himself would

roll over in his grave. How do I know this? When he had that accident involving a crocidile biting some of his fingers, he took the blame on himself for startling the creature. He never held any hard feelings towards it and insisted the audience to forgive the reptile for the way it reacted. It was never anything personal. If Mr. Irwin’s spirit would come back, he would put those people to shame for killing those sting rays and claim his death was his own fault for startling the poor creature. If a man who dealt with wild creatures all his life had the courage to forgive them each time any of them made an attempt on his life, we as human beings have proven ourselves as cowards for not having the courage to forgive each other each time we felt the other has done great wrong to us.