Dan - Lancaster, Pennsylvania

Sophocles once said, “Obedience to authority saves many skins.” His words on this issue remain practical and correct. I believe obedience is always rewarded. By choosing to humbly submit our lives will be rich. We will be renowned for our integrity and our right choices will save us from future consequences. It may not seem as the best decision at the moment, but an act of obedience never fails. Obedience is sometimes required, but when the choice remains ours alone, we are truly tested. I believe if we choose to merely obey during these tough situations, our lives will be enriched.

After the conclusion of my fourth grade school year, my parents radically changed my life. Rather than continuing to attend my current elementary school, they forced me to attend a private school with only forty students per class. I hated this decision and nearly resented my parents for taking me away from my comfortable environment. However, I quickly made numerous friends, as I became far more popular than I was in the past. I began dating my best friend in eighth grade. We remained together throughout high school. I matured into a decent athlete and played three sports every year. In spite of such a busy schedule, I maintained a 4.0 GPA. By the time graduation came around, I had formed many valuable friendships that will last for years to come. I left my school as both the leading scorer in basketball and the “Athlete of the Year” of 2006. I was rewarded for my act of obedient surrender.

I refer to my success not to boast of my accomplishments, but rather to show the impact obedience has had on my life. Before my first year attending private school, I nearly chose to avoid this life. I rebelled against my parents and was close to an escape. If I had chosen to disobey my parents; what I thought was the escape would have prevented me from being where I am today.

We have two choices available before us everyday: obey or rebel. Simply, we can learn the easy way or suffer for our mistakes. We can rest assuredly or face the certain consequences. My story is a rare example of a huge decision that rarely occurs. But do not be mistaken; little choices can lead to a big disaster. How we decide to deal with these choices determines our fate for the good or bad. I believe when we choose to submit and obey, our lives will overflow with success.