Peter - Montville, New Jersey
Themes: death

My senior year was said to be the worst year in Montville High School history. It was also one of the most emotional times of my life. The year was filled with too many lows and not enough highs.

I remember how my heart sank when I first heard the news. There was a quiet whisper roaming around halls that morning. Once the bell rang, my French teacher told my class about the accident that Dave was involved in. Many students did not understand the severity of his situation. He was driving his black prelude and lost control at 40 mph and crashed into a tree. At first, I thought Dave would return to school in a few days telling stories of how he narrowly cheated the grim reaper. Soon after, I was faced with the fact that he was on the brink of death. I came to school the next day expecting news of Dave’s recovery, but I was instead greeted by an unwelcome silence. The entire school was quiet and sluggish. Instead of hearing the standard boring morning announcements, a grim voice came over the speakers. Rather than the senior class president it was the principal, Dr. Kramer. By the end of the announcement I was shocked to hear that my friend had lost his life.

Less than a month later, as our school finally began to recover from Dave’s tragedy, I was taken by surprise again. Again a morning announcement changed the atmosphere of the entire school. Antonio, another senior, had lost his long battle with cancer. I did not understand how these two young men could lose their lives so early, and how this series of events could happen so close together. My senior year, supposedly the best time of a young man’s life, had now turned into something so dismal. How could someone I used to share laughs with, watch soccer games with, and even sit next to in class be taken so suddenly. They still had so much to accomplish in their lives.

After these tragic events, the entire school had a new attitude. Stickers began to show up on student’s windshields and bracelets started to appear on their wrists to remember Dave and Antonio. I had my own way of remembering Dave and Antonio. It involved no stickers or bracelets. Rather, I was taught a lesson that will remain with me for the rest of my life. You never know how your life will be different tomorrow, so you must enjoy today. I believe that if your life should end tomorrow, you shouldn’t have any regrets of what you did today. This is how I try to live my life. I try to be as productive as possible, while having as much fun as possible. This is what I believe.