Carla - Duluth, Minnesota
Themes: Christianity

“Avoiding an Eternal Scar”

By: Carla Lind

It is agreed by most that unfortunate events do happen, but not all people would agree that one can completely change for the better after that unfortunate event. My primary focus all the way through high school had always been on sports, but then one rainy day in April the sixth game of my senior soccer season, a brief second changed it all as someone made a notion to change and save my life.

When the test results came back a few days after that fateful day, the confirmation wasn’t what I wanted to hear. My anterior cruciate ligament better known as my ACL had been torn and would require surgery if I ever wanted to play sports again. The blow crushed me deeply as thoughts of surgery raced through my head and the scar to remain. I had fallen down feeling like there was no way that I could possibly get back up again. My aspirations of playing at the intercollegiate level were thrown out like yesterday’s news, and my world just seemed to stop.

It was at this time that a friend invited me to attend her youth group and I began to learn about the awesome healing power of our Lord Christ Jesus. With the strength of the Lord by my side and the prayers of many, I began my walk with Christ. I found myself seeking his word and praising him through the worst of times. Through surgery and months of rehab, I could feel his healing presence upon me.

Now, I am a few weeks ahead of schedule for a full recovery, and Christ is still with me every step of the way. Sometimes the steps I take do hurt and I may walk with a limp, but God is always there, and now that unfortunate day is no longer a day of pain. It is a day in which God decided to intercede in my life: “For whoever wants to save his life will lose it; but whoever loses his life for me will find it” (Matthew 16:25).

I will eventually be back to one-hundred percent, and be able to do what I love once again. But when that time comes, I don’t need athletics, materials, or anything else in this world, for I am forever saved from an eternal scar because I believe in my Savior Christ Jesus.