Matt - Dallas, Texas
Themes: race

I strongly believe that all people are created equal. That’s how God want’s it and that’s how God put us here. I’ve been faced in many cases where I’ve been cut down because of race or religion.

I know all too well how it’s like to be on the recieving end of racism. Being Mexican and having a Hispanic name made sure of that. I love being Mexican, it’s who i am. Yet time and time again, even if they’re just playing, someone non-Hispanic starts to say things about Mexicans or Latinos. I hate it when that happens because it just leads to other things. It’s happened many times before and I don’t see an end to it any time soon.

I am a Catholic and proud of it. But a Catholic at a Baptist school doesn’t mix. I went to First Baptist Academy for baseball. As a reward for my good playing, poeple would constantly make fun of me, and I couldn’t fight back or I’d get expelled. I did fight back once, and got suspended. The other kid got one day of detention. People would drive mad, and it wasn’t like one person was tormenting me, it was more along the lines of thirty! I had a few good friends there who would be on my side, but it wasn’t enough.

My dad laid it out to me like this,”Don’t judge someone because of their race or religion.” I firmly believe in that. Say a white person says a black person is less a person because he’s black. Wrong. All people are human beigns, no matter the color of their skin or what name they call God.

It says in the Bible that all men are equal under God. Im plain black and white letters. Coming from God himself that means something. It means racism is evil, this I believe.