Morgan - Oakwood, Illinois

“You can choose this day to be a good day or a bad day, Morgan.” This is what my mom would always tell me when I wake up in the morning. Everyone has bad days, but is that just because we let them be that way? I believe that every decision I make should be based on what I want and not what other people want for me. Making my own decisions for myself is very important to me.

It is a good feeling knowing that I control my future and the happiness that comes along with it. I know that I am going to make the best life for myself, and that I don’t have to depend on anyone else for help. Of course, my parents will be there for me for support; but every decision is mine to make. They won’t pressure me to do anything that I do not want to do. I get to decide what career choice I want to take and what college I want to go to. I don’t have to settle for less than my dreams.

My parents didn’t have the easy way to college. My dad didn’t go to college, because he wanted to join the Air Force. His original plan was to go back to school, but he never made the time for it. My mom decided that she would take a year off after high school and then go to college. She ended up getting married and having two kids before she went back at a much older age. She regrets doing that to this day. In a way, I have learned from my parents’ mistakes. I am not going to tell myself that I will go to college eventually. I am going to go to college right after I graduate from high school. I don’t want to postpone my life any longer than what is necessary.

Instead of settling for what I am comfortable with I would like to extend my boundaries. Nothing is impossible unless I make it impossible. I can be anything that I want to be; I can do anything that I want to do. I just have to put my mind to it and anything can be possible. No one is holding me back; no one is going to make my decisions for me. There are no limits. I believe that my future is going to be exactly what I make of it and I won’t settle for anything less than my dreams.