Rachel - Dallas, Texas

I believe in listening to whatever type of music that you want. The type of music that you listen to gives you freedom that clothes or hairstyles can’t give you. Whatever mood I am in, music will always put a smile on my face. I think an influential part of my belief is the television channel FUSE. FUSE shows music videos and countdowns all day long. FUSE is the reason why I have heard of a lot of the bands that I llike.

One person who has really introduces music to me is my dad. Ever since I was little, he was always listening primarily to music from the 60’s and 70’s. His passion in music lies in the old rock and roll bands, such as Led Zeppelin, the Zombies, the Eagles, Bad Company, Lynyrd Skynyrd, the Guess Who, Creedence Clearwater Revival, the Beatles, and the Marshall Tucker Band. I guess he taught me to be so passionate about music by taking me to record stores and allowing me to explore new types of music like Fall Out Boy, Taking Back Sunday, PlayRadioPlay!, Green Day, The Subways, Cute is What We Aim For, Backseat Goodbye, and Blink 182. Even though we don’t listen to the same bands, or even the same type, I still believe that he is responsible for my passion.

Another reason I am so passionate about music is people often tease me because of the type of music I listen to. I always have people telling me that the bands I like are bad performers or their songs are not good. If people cared about what other people thought of the music that they listened to, everyone would listen to the same thing. I think the type of music that I listen to gives me a sense of uniqueness. I feel this way because not everyone has heard of the bands I listen to. I like being the only one of my friends to listen to a band, because then I can introduce the band to them. I am the one who introduced my friends to a good band called PlayRadioPlay!. If my friends have heard of a new band like PlayRadioPlay!, I would hope that they would do the same thing for me.

Myspace is another tool that has introduced me to music. A lot of unsigned bands and artists are on Myspace, where people can listen to or even, if they like, download the song. I support a lot of the bands on Myspace because they are genuinely good bands. So many of these new bands would still be unheard of if not for Myspace and curious music seekers like myself.

Music makes the world go around.