Meghan - Oakwood, Illinois

Friedrich von Schiller once said, “Keep true to the dreams of thy youth.” I couldn’t agree more. If you look at the world we live in, it’s as if the adults of the world have either completely forgotten their childhood or are trying to. I don’t want to grow up and forget my dreams; I want them to forever be a part of who I am and who I will be in the years to come.

Every famous doctor, artist, lawyer, businessman, and politician were young at one time, and like me, they had a dream. Whatever they felt passionately about became their career. My dream is to become successful in whatever I decide to do in my life. The people in those professions worked hard to get where they are today, and I want to be able to do the same for myself.

My four year old brother has a dream to grow up and marry me someday. Although we know this won’t happen, why would we shatter something that seems so important to him? The older he gets the more he’ll realize how silly that dream was, and he’ll mature and find and new dream, a more reality based dream.

So many adults grow up and forget about what they believed when they were young and I don’t want to be one of those adults. I don’t want to grow up and forget about my dreams. I want to be the same dreamer 10, 20, 30 years from now. I want to have the same determination to follow my dream and succeed when I grow up as I do now.

My father is a huge inspiration for me; he went straight from high school into the Army, where he stayed for ten years. After he got out, he didn’t go back to school. He now owns his own business and is more successful than a lot of the adults I know, even with a college degree. My father had a dream to make something of himself and his family. And as hard as he works now and has for the last 20 years, he has reached his dream. I want to get a great education to help me reach my dreams, but I know that all I need is the drive to remember what my dream is, and to never forget it.

As a teenager, I’m said to be ‘independent’ and ‘stubborn’. These traits may not be the best characteristics for a teenager to have, but I pray that I am able to keep these qualities as I grow into the woman I will soon become. I believe that being independent and head strong will help me become more successful in my career. I will use these traits to help make me successful in whatever I do in life. I once read a quote that helps keep me focused as I try and achieve my dream: “Never consider the possibility of failure; as long as you persist, you will be successful.”