Ian - Cullowhee, North Carolina

Long, Long Way From Home

I believe making the toughest decision is sometimes the best decision you will ever make in your entire life. I made the decision to leave my public school in Florida for a private boarding school in the mountains of North Carolina. Moving into the dorm my first day, I remember feeling doubt and excitement about starting a new life.

My transition from public school to boarding school wasn’t any easy one. So many things were going through my head when I agreed to leave. I was leaving a life that I grew comfortable with and some of my best friends. Most of my best friends supported my decision to leave. I was leaving the freedom of public school for a rigorous work ethic and structured schedule. In the back of my mind, I wondered if I could succeed in boarding school and move on to bigger and better things in life. But I agreed to make the transition by living away from home. At that time, I did not see any difference between public and private school except at this private school I’m living away from home.

In public school, I rarely had homework or I was finished with my homework in thirty minutes because of its simplicity. My father wanted me to be challenged and get ready for college, which public school wasn’t preparing me for. I began to see the major differences between the two after graduating. In private school, my teachers did not just teach me out of the textbook, but taught about life and how to get through the troubles of life. Being able to play athletics in private school, I became a decent athlete but nothing too special. Public school did not give me the chance to play because of my lack of skill . My experience in boarding school opened my eyes to new perspectives of life and taught me a few valuable lessons such as time management, sportsmanship, and tying a tie. When people ask me “Is it a reform school?”, I tell them no. The purpose of the school was to turn young boys into young men of dignity. Public school taught me to socialize with a wide variety of people from many different backgrounds. Finally, public school gave you the opportunity to try many more things than private school.

Many times in life, people are forced to make a tough decision and avoid the decision. The decision eventually comes back to haunt them. If I didn’t make that decision, I wouldn’t be the person I am today and my future would have a different course. As far as I am concerned, it was the best decision I have ever made.