Samantha - Cullowhee, North Carolina
Themes: purpose

Rescued From the Eyes of Death

I should be dead, why did you let me survive God? I first spoke those words after I dried my tears and calmed down. The summer before I would get behind the wheel of a car; my family decided to visit my Aunt Debbie’s house in New Jersey. The trip went awesome and the week flew by, but the trip home seemed to last more than fourteen hours. My excitement to drive soon turned to utter fear.

As I finally got comfortable suddenly I felt the car jolt. Waking up I realized that an eighteen-wheeler truck had hit us. As the truck hit us again, I looked out my window staring straight at the front tire of the eighteen-wheeler. The bumper had punctured a hole in the driver side door and was hooked to the car. As I stared at the spinning tire, I began thinking of things I still wanted to do before I died. As thoughts went through my mind and the ride never seemed to stop, the car swung to the front of the truck. As I looked at the front of the eighteen-wheeler truck, I swore the car was going to flip, but I kept praying for another chance. Surely my life has not been fully lived. Just when the car begin to lift up it swung out from the front of the truck. Somehow we broke free and my mom stopped the car in the emergency lane. I then realized my purpose in life was not over. That God had for some reason gave our family a second chance.

So why am I still alive when I have looked into the eyes of death, feeling consumed by it, but rescued? I believe everyone in life, man or women, has a purpose. We all have a reason to live and reason to go through what we do. The only way we can find our place in life is to live each day as if we would die tomorrow. To know that we might not get another chance to say something to a kid who needs a friend. Or to help an old man down the street feel there is still hope. To find the one thing or many things that makes us happy. What makes us feel needed and how we can help others find their purpose.

It took me another chance at life to realize I have a purpose. To know that each day I wake up and smell the morning air is another day to find my reason for living. I believe my purpose right now is to tell a story. A story of fear, a story of life, and a story that through my experience helped me realize not to live one day without regret.